4/1/2015 5:39:00 AM
Upgrade your traditional lasagna recipe with vitamin-packed Zucchini, the perfect low-carb, low fat substitute for pasta noodles.
The Itrim program is now available to all Active Sports Clubs members at our Petaluma and Oakland clubs. Discover a lighter, healthier life. Visit www.itrim.us or email email@example.com to learn more.
Makes 2 portions.
8 ounces of ground beef
1 yellow onion
1 garlic clove
5 ounces of celeriac
2 tbsp of olive oil
1 jar of crushed tomatoes, 14 ounces
2 tbsp of chopped basil
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of black pepper
1–2 teaspoons of sambal oelek
1–2 large zucchinis, finely sliced
1. Start with the Bolognese sauce. Peel and chop the onion, garlic, carrot, celeriac and parsnip.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan, and roast the vegetables together with the ground beef.
3. Add crushed tomatoes, basil, salt, pepper, and sambal oelek. Simmer at low heat for 20 minutes.
4. Peel the zucchini into thin and broad slices.
5. Grease an ovenproof dish; cover the bottom with Bolognese sauce. Add the zucchini and a layer of cottage cheese. Repeat three times and finish with a layer of cottage cheese.
6. Bake in the oven at 435ºF for 15–20 minutes or until the lasagna pasta has softened. Garnish with basil. Serve with a simple salad of mixed lettuce.
Recipe used with permission. Source: Itrim Cookbook, First US Edition