By Maya Hayes, MPH, Certified Nutrition Educator | healthhandled.com
This healthy combo of chicken and Mediterranean flavors comes together quickly and is delicious alongside some whole grain bread, served over polenta, or kept low-carb on top of cauliflower rice or zoodles.
- 1-2 lbs organic chicken breast tenders OR boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1.5 cups marinated artichokes
- 1/4 cup sliced kalamata olives
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried herbs de Provence (or Italian seasoning, etc)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- a couple handfuls of fresh basil, torn
- Drizzle a couple tablespoons of oil from the marinated artichokes in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sear chicken on each side for about 1-2 minutes (or about 3 minutes each side if you are using thighs).
- Toss in marinated artichokes, tomatoes, and olives. Add in seasonings and balsamic vinegar, reserve basil for the end.
- Lower heat to medium. Cover with lid and let simmer for about 8-10 minutes.
- Increase heat to high until most of the liquid evaporates. Flip chicken occasionally. Cook until chicken is slightly browned on the outside and cooked through (be careful not to overcook if using breasts as they will dry out).
- Remove from heat and top with fresh basil. Serve immediately.
Maya Hayes is a Consultant for Employee Well-Being at Providence St. Joseph Health, holds a Masters in Public Health degree and is a Certified Nutrition Educator. Find more nutritional tips and recipes from Maya at www.healthhandled.com.