By Maya Hayes, MPH, Certified Nutrition Educator | healthhandled.com
This lovely, healthy and filling salad provides a great combination of protein, carbs, fiber and healthy fats to power you through even the busiest of days!
Note: This recipe can easily be made vegetarian (perhaps add more hard-boiled egg for protein) or even vegan (omit the fish and egg and add some garbanzo beans for your protein). You can personalize this however you want, and in whatever quantity you want, but these are my tried and true ingredients.
- Lettuce (I used Romaine), several handfuls per serving
- Green beans, about 1lb, blanched and cooled
- Baby potatoes, about 2-3 per serving, boiled until tender and cooled*
- Cherry tomatoes, halved
- Hardboiled egg, 1/2 egg per plate
- 1/4 avocado per plate (optional)
- 5-6 Olives per serving (Niçoise recommended!)
- Salmon or Tuna filets, one per person, see prep notes belowEasy Vinaigrette Dressing
- 1 part vinegar (your choice; balsamic, apple cider, red wine, etc) or other acid (lemon juice, fresh orange juice, lime juice, etc)
- 3 parts olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Fresh herbs to taste (optional)
- After preparing all ingredients as described, assemble ingredients onto a plate and drizzle with a vinaigrette dressing (store-bought or follow the Easy Vinaigrette recipe).
- Salmon: Sear salmon in a bit of oil and seasoned with salt and pepper–about 4 minutes on one side and 2–3 on the other depending on the thickness of your filet.
- Tuna: Season and sear in cooking oil for about 1 1/2–2 minutes per side.
Maya Hayes is a Consultant for Employee Well-Being at Providence St. Joseph Health, holds a Masters in Public Health degree and is a Certified Nutrition Educator. Find more nutritional tips and recipes from Maya at www.healthhandled.com.